The story of Faith Community Church in Zillah, WA began officially in 1901, when Classis Iowa granted a petition by early Dutch settlers to organize a church to be known as “The First Reformed Church of the Sunnyside Valley.” Back in 1896, the family of Mr. and Mrs. Harkema arrived in the valley from Holland, MI and soon were joined by the families of J.W. Oord, J.B. Rammerman, R. Bajema, G.D. Wesselius, and P. Van Belle. For the next 5 years, the families met in homes, alternating between the Sunnyside and Zillah groups with Mr. Harkema conducting all the reading services. Whenever a minister or missionary would spend several weeks in the area, church services were held at the Liberty School.
In 1905, the church name was changed to “The First Christian Reformed Church of Zillah.” The following year, services would be held in a newly constructed church on the northern bank of the Yakima River, two miles southeast of Zillah near the whistle stop of Boone. The land was purchased by the railroad a few years later and the church was moved a half mile north, where a new parsonage was added in 1910 and a janitor’s house in 1922.
In 1910, Zillah’s first pastor, Mr. C. Vriesman, was installed and led the church until 1924. During his pastorate, 12 families living in Grangeville, ID withdrew their memberships to organize a new church in Grangeville. Starting in 1930, Pastor Nick De Vries began a 14 year pastorate during which services in Dutch would end and English-only sermons were instituted. In 1932, the Sunnyside families organized a new church, and the Zillah congregation was left with only 26 families. In the early 1940s, during WWII, women of the church made up “care” packages that were sent to Holland